Sunday, July 16, 2017

Cookies...

If there's one thing you can't have too many of...it's a great cookie recipe, especially if it includes chocolate chips!  I McGyver'd these over the weekend.  I took some to my daughter's yesterday when I went to watch the little granddude for a few hours.  She text'd me later telling me 'those cookies are a keeper'.

Then made another batch today to give to Marshall (my oldest) since he was coming over for dinner. I mentioned cookies and fresh walleye from Lake Erie and he was all about joining us!!

Duh...I did not take any photos when I made them.  I thought about it with the first batch, but since it was my 'test' batch, I didn't.  Then today...just forgot.

I did not put in any raisins in either batch.  I knew Marshall didn't want any, so just left them out. Next time I'll make them with maybe 3/4 cup of both chocolate chips and raisins.


Here's the finished product!!  Yep...it was quite tasty.  It's resting on a plate that was my husband's paternal grandmother's.  I love to use our family treasure.  I use the same grandmother's silverware every day.  Why keep those lovelies packed away.

Here you go:

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2
    c. all-purpose flour
  • ½
    tsp. baking soda
  • ½
    tsp. salt
  • 1
    Tbsp. cornstarch
  • ¾
    c. butter, melted (1½ sticks) OR softened butter *
  • 1
    c. packed brown sugar
  • ½
    c. white sugar
  • 1
    Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1
    egg
  • 1
    egg yolk
  • c. old-fashioned oats
  • 1-½
    c. chocolate chips
  • 1
    heaping cup raisins (optional)

    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
    Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Your cookies turn out so much better with parchment paper. OR use a silpat.

    Melt butter and let cool slightly.

    Mix flour, baking soda, salt & cornstarch; set aside.

    In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk for 2-3 minutes until light and creamy.

    Mix in the flour mixture until just blended.
    Add the oats and any chocolate chips, nuts,or raisins. Mix until just blended.

    Place 1/4 cup balls of dough onto parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes. Do not over bake. The edges should look brown and the centers still slightly soft. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

    These were PERFECT at 14 min. on convection bake in my oven.

    * I made these with melted butter and softened butter.  There was no difference in the taste but the melted butter did bake up to be a prettier cookie.  That said, I don't know that I'd take the time in the future to melt the butter.  But...if I've got Ghee sitting on my counter, I'll try that next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment